Yesterday afternoon, a weird thing happened to me.
An hour after lunch, I started to feel this pounding headache, that wouldn't go away even if I had been rubbing the pads of my fingers on my temples over and over. No, it wouldn't.
I always have these "stress-type"headaches whenever I start a new rotation...which was perfectly timed with my much-awaited (and oftentimes dreaded) rotation in Medicine. I figured that this was one of "those headaches".
From experience, and from the intense throbbing at my temples and nape, I knew that there was bound to be something wrong with my BP.
Wonder of wonders...there was somthing wrong with my BP. So i went down to the ER (the medical ward is all the way up in the third floor) and had myself checked.
80/50.
It figures...the normal is around 120/80, and mine looked like it was way below normal. I chuckled to myself as I thought about how, in some places, they'd be sticking an IV in and pumping fluids to raise the BP up. And yet, there I was, walking around as if there was nothing wrong, except for the pained grimace, of course.
The second time a co-intern took my BP, it was down to 60 palpatory (you should've seen the look on his face). I smiled at the thought of myself being a walking ICU (intensive care unit) patient. A nurse checked me, and I was back to my "healthy" 80/60 reading. I didn't faint, not at all, I just had that ridiculously painful headache.
I spent the rest of the afternoon on my back at the doctors' quarters...I was pretty much useless and I couldn't een sleep it off. When I got home, I took a (miracle) mefenamic acid capsule, gorged on Gatorade and hit the sack early.
In the morning, I was good as new. :-) with a healthy 100/80. :-D
(I just remembered, I took my thyroid medication with an antibiotic at the same time yesterday...do you think it might have been that?)
Random, Semi-Secret Tales of Life, Loves, and Medicine. My days during the the Psychodynamic Leap, and doing Psych Residency in Manila.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Low
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Popular Posts
-
"There is a man outside who has a little book that tells fortunes..." one of the nurses told me. I looked up from my reading, my c...
-
Boracay sunset. April 23, 2010. My recent Boracay vacation was one for the books. It was so much fun, I'm still "percolating...
-
"Ok, give me a smile..." The photographer guy coaxed me gently. I remembered my mother holding my brother by the hand, lookin...
-
I like: 1. Black tea with honey... 2. That it's my father's (on the 22nd), and grandfather's (on the 12th)birthdays th...
-
“Like a hot knife cutting through butter…” was a friend’s description of the smoothness of Inoxcrom pens. A pen lover (and member of a gr...
-
My pockets are always bulky. My right would contain my beloved camera and my breast pocket would contain my handy pens. These two thin...
-
The people, both young and old alike were milling around prior to the main event. I'm almost back row center. The place was filled to th...
-
First off, A big big happy birthday greeting to Pop who just celebrated his 56th birthday yesterday (the 22nd)...and I do...
-
(Judy Ann Santos and Ryan Agoncillo, wed April 28,2009) (I'm a closet romantic, and am a big fan of dream weddings. I especially love i...
-
What scares you the most? Me, I’ve got 4... the scariest things in the world would have to be… 1. Losing my two front teeth. 2. Hei...
Heeeyy. While you're in med rotation, better ambush a willing consultant there and get a thorough check up. Otherwise, we'd put a line in and pump you up, just like what we like to do in the OR. ;p
ReplyDeleteTake care, now, ha.