Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

I crave

June 20, 2009
Kaffefika, G. Tolentino St.
5:45 PM

I have an ardent desire for raw fish...the kind that you eat with chopsticks, smother with wasabi, and enjoy with gusto. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I can down the stuff like a man.

If left alone to my devices at an "eat all you can" buffet, I would willingly heap my plate and come back for seconds...even thirds.

Some people would find the sensation of eating raw fish revolting, and would not even touch the stuff, but I have no problems with that. I always thought that raw fish was an acquired taste anyway.

I crave it now.

I crave it like it was a necessary drug, to satisfy the intense need of my senses,
I'm craving it like a hungry man craves his first bite of food after days of hunger...
I crave it like a nymphomaniac craves sex...
Like a lovelorn spinster desires her first wet kiss...
Like a mortal sinner craves absolution.

:-)

I want that cool, soft flesh, it's pink luscious smoothness on my tongue, and I can't wait to feel that sharp sting of fresh green wasabi in the my mouth, the final few seconds before it slides pleasureably down my throat, the act of eating itself, a sweet surrender to the magic that is sushi.

Raw fish brings back many memories... family get-togethers in my childhood were always about laughter and bowls of raw fish in coconut milk, seasoned with spices and vinegar and lots of chili pepper. There was also a grand time when my aunt and cousin went out and feasted on heaps of Japanese food until we were so full we could barely move. It also reminds me of a time when I waited expectantly, intently watching an ex-love's face, while he tasted the first bites of this delightfully strange dish, waiting for approval.

Ah, memories...

One of my classmates at the review center knows of this Japanese restaurant near Don Bosco, in Makati where the food is so good...even Japanese people eat there. We're all planning to go out after the boards and totally drown our frustrations in the cuisine...

*sigh* I actually can't wait, but I do know I have to, because there simply isn't any substitute...

------------------

(Oh, and if you're from Dumaguete, you should try the Tuna Sashimi at Casablanca. It tastes so good, better than chocolate and sex (I think.) haha.)

4 comments:

  1. Mummified ForeskinJune 20, 2009 at 10:44 PM

    There's a good Japanese restaurant at the second floor/level of Robinsons Place-Manila.

    That's relatively near to where you're staying.

    Food is reasonably priced.

    You don't have to wait after the boards; matagal pa 'yun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bri. hehe..wala lang, i reckon I write more coherently when I'm hungry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Foreskin.

    Yeah, it's one ride away... oh, the day after i wrote this, i went to try another place in SM North Ave. Kimono Ken. Loved it so much I almost peed in my pants.

    haha. joke.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Popular Posts

Translate