Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

On the Plane trip home

- August 30th, 2009
6:45 AM
Cebu Pacific Flight 625
While people-watching on the flight

I had an overwhelming sense of resignation and uncertainty when I boarded... this happens all the time whenever I leave the big city and head back for my hometown.

It's always temporary, but I always have this feeling everytime.

I left my camera on my cousin Hershey's bed (since i sleep with my camera next to me, i think it got lost in the covers and I had forgotten about it.)

My nephew Rhys reminds me of another little baby.

* sigh *
----------
CHEAPER EXCESS BAGGAGE COST

I boxed up all my books, and clothes and sent them via cargo hold c/o my airline, Cebu pacific. If you don't want to pay for too much excess bagagge, this is the way to go. You pay less than 1000 for something that would cost around Php 5000 in extra charges at the airport, AND you get to pick it up hassle free when you get to your destination. If you ask me, that's a real bargain.

Cebu Pacific has a good service.

-------------

People-watching and other thoughts

They have a travel magazine on deck...and I've been reading on the must-see destinations in the Philippnes. There are a lot. *sigh* (Here we go again, more places to think about.)

My fountain pen is leaking. (I am writing on the folding table now, which, i suppose, was put to better use as a snack table when they used to offer snacks in-flight. They don't anymore.) I think it's ratty how they don't serve snacks anymore on trips. In the middle of the trip, one or two flight attendants started pushing a cart down the aisle...it was loaded with sandwiches, drinks and whatnot. The recession is upon us, and even airline passengers feel the pinch.

A guy one seat across the aisle behind me is bouncing a little pink baby (about 3 months old) on his knee. She appears calm and quiet and is not making a fuss aside from the occasionaly cooing. She is dressed in a terry-cloth jumper, pink and perfect, complete with a little white baby ski cap. Undoubtedly a girl.

My ears hurt, this is the first time in all the years that i've been flying to manila and back that my cochlear system has let me down. *sigh* Can my luck get any worse? Swallowing big gulps of air is not working. (I'll be partially deaf for a few days, of course. Bummer).

The little baby is asleep now, sucking peacefully on a pacifier. Her dad's the one carrying her...a terribly young-looking dad. If he didn't have the baby cradled in his arms, I'd have said that he was fresh out of college...a varsity basketball team member, I assume, judging from his build and well, white basketball sneakers.

Early fatherhood is fine, of course, as long as you know how to get milk. :-p

I'm sitting next to a couple of ladies on this flight. The elderly one is in denim cut-offs, wearing a shawlish-looking dark blue t-shirt, made for a man, but apparently chosen by her for comfort. Both of her hands were protectively clutching a black Louis Vuitton tote (genuine or not, I didn't really care), as if all her life savings were hidden in it's deep recesses. She was silent and coughed occasionally, but was mostly asleep during the flight, never once taking off her grey and black fedora, not even for a minute.

Another lady, younger, and presumably her daughter, judging from the way they communicated with less words was equally interesting... She kept fiddling with her i-pod and cellphone before the "Turn off your cellphones please" reminder came on, and I noticed her elaborately decorated fingernails and toenails. They were very distracting...especially since she was wearing jewel-encrusted high-heeled sandals. I snuck a peak whenever they slept.

I didn't feel like being chatty on this plane ride...I just felt tired, and that I needed to keep to myself. I was feeling resigned.

Before I knew it, the plane had touched down, and I exhaled... It was a rough-ish landing and there was turbulence above, but still, it was nothing to worry about. I had no thoughts nor feelings nor premonitions of my death that morning. It was cool. Nothing to worry about.

While the plane was coasting, I took my phone out and texted my mum, because they said they were picking me up. The guy across the aisle from me gave a little laugh and went, "Here na me, where na you?" when he saw me texting.

He laughed because we weren't supposed to turn the cellphones back on yet as per airplane regulations but I hurriedly did it anyway, so he figured I was texting my boyfriend.

Yeah right.

Boyfriend.

Ha!

So I just smiled, and said no.

I waited patiently in my seat until the last few people filed out, and then i got my tote, a black Victoria's Secret bag, the one and only one I had and stepped out into the Dumaguete sunshine.

I was home.

For now.

P.S. They didn't even have a game (I always win something in these games, mind you.). Thanks to my cousin Ged for taking me to the airport at 5 in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Popular Posts

Translate