Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Holmes, Watson, and Cute Couplehood



Guy Ritchie's version of my favorite detective blew me away. :-) I was on the edge of my seat the whole time... His version of Holmes as a scruffy but sexy, hypersharp sleuth with the keenest sense for miles around was a run ride, so not at all like the suave gentleman from Baker Street that I have often read about.

(Although, watching the movie has made me want to purchase this book, finally...)



...which, I believe, will be chock-full of Holmes stories and adventures that I have always loved. :-) I like Adventures, and Superhero stories, so Holmes in his almost supernatural "powers" of observation is as much of a superhero as they come.

Arthur Conan Doyle was a physician, and he employed his experiences in physical diagnosis to make Holmes come alive and be more realistic when it came to solving crimes, a very clever combo, and I might add, a very impressive way of coming up with stories.




Rachel McAdams certainly held her own, but...




it was Holmes and Watson (the good doctor) who made a cute couple. haha. It was such fun watching them exchange banter. It's like, you become too familiar with someone, everything else becomes routine and you start to know what the other person needs even without them asking for it.

Hence, the cute couple effect. :-p



Still, I think Robert Downey, Jr. was a good choice as Holmes...I never did think of Holmes as being too uptight and hoity toity a man...he was bound to be rough, ruggedly handsome, wise in the ways of the world, but still, with a charming vulnerability that was almost very covert, thinly covered by a sheen of sarcastic humor and dry wit.

Loved him. Especially the parts where Holmes explains things. It made me give out an intellectually pleasurable, "Aha..."

(And might I mention that Jude Law has the sharpest cheekbones of any Watson I know? I always thought that Dr. Watson was a roly-poly little character, with chubby cheeks....and certainly not matinee idol bone structure. ;-). I'm not complaining, though. Nuh-uh. ;-))


------------------------------------------------------------ 
On another note, I had some hash browns this afternoon, after a bad craving for it last night. lol... yummy. potatoes just the way I liked it. :-)

 


1 comment:

  1. I have to catch up with my movies. I've only seen two this year and both of them were released in December, but only got to see them in January! Ack.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Popular Posts

Translate