Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Moonlight Memoirs: A busy day

 

"Chart rows." 
(February 2010)

I had a busy busy day at work so many admissions...all 24 of it, plus or minus 2-3 (chopped-up) hours of when i could catch a few winks on the table at the station. By morning, I was bleary-eyed and tired, but since I had to finish paperwork (arrgh!), I had to stay behind (not counted as overtime).

While i was "slaving away" at my histories, one of the personnel came over to chat to the nurses and after a while, she probably saw my haggard face and asked why I was still there, when it was way past my out time. 

I gave her a tired smile and said that I still had stuff to finish...to which she replied, jokingly, "Why did you have to be a doctor...you could have been an accountant instead." To which I said, "No, actually, I was going to do English Literature or Journalism back in college, Ma'am...but here I am! *sigh*"

"Oh, English literature...does that mean you're good in English, then?" she asked. (I sure hope she wasn't incredulous.haha)

No, madam, i'm good in French. :p

She's a friendly sort, and is always nice and chatty, but I still do remember her making a comment back in the first few days I was there, "I hope you'll stay long, you seem like someone who is simple, and is not very ambitious..." 

(Ouch. I shouldn't take it as being a derogatory comment, of course, but it does sound like it.)

:-p 

I think I just laughed a little that time, neither confirming nor denying the fact. It was amusing why she would think to judge me just from looks alone. 

How would "ambitious people" look, by the way? Could you tell just from passing them by on the street? What a hoot that was.

I won't be staying my whole life there, of course. It never occurred to me to just stick there for the rest of my days...I'm 28 after all, not 58. :-) I decided to work there for public service (a.k.a. "utang na loob" for my government-subsidized medical education in some ways), AND it paid well. Plus, experience in skills and decision-making is a good thing to be accustomed to. What I really like about public hospitals is the fact that I can do things I wouldn't normally get to do in a private hospital. So this is a good chance for me to learn, there's no denying that.

On another note, maybe I should be "power-dressing", you reckon that would make me look more "ambitious", perhaps?

Perhaps.

:-)

Good night.

~ S.

---------------

Quoted: "If you're planning on not talking to someone anymore, don't tell them so. Just don't talk to them anymore. Sooner or later, they'll get the message and move on."

Yeah, things just die a natural death for some I suppose. 

But you know what, I'd much rather be told, if that were me. So I would. If that were me.

But it's not, so... next topic!
---------------

By the way, I spent this Saturday night at home, in my junior year scrub pants and a tank top, nursing a mug of black tea with honey, wearing my dorky glasses and not combing my hair. I couldn't sleep right away, so I watched a movie and came here.

I want to go out next weekend. But right now I just want to chill out in front of the tv. And maybe read a little.

--------------

Watched "Must Love Dogs" earlier. It was an ok movie...(not totally fabulous, sorry), but it had a memorable (a.k.a. "relate-able) line, something about how...

" i think your heart grows back bigger ya know, once you get the shit beat out of you. And the universe lets your heart expand that way, cause thats the function of all this pain and heartache that you go through and you gotta go through that to come out to a better place..."


(Okie-dokie... )

AND THEN, Doctor Zhivago came up...  :-)

------------- 

(Really...it's late and I'm just so tired, so I'm going to wrap this up. Good night, one and all.)

 

4 comments:

  1. Paperwork...ugh! What a pain. I believe you that the lady in the hospial is nice, but some of her comments don't sound very nice. I'm like you, I would rather know if someone doesn't want to talk to me.

    Tea with honey sounds relaxing. I like tea, but only drink hot tea (or anything hot) if I feel sick.

    I'm glad the comment function is working again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she is nice, but she just says "funny" things. :-p But I don't blame her, I'm not the type who "opens up" to any random person anyway. So she can form her assumptions if she wants to, i'm cool..

    About the new layout, i've always liked white themes...the black one before this was a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often wondered why "ambisyon" seems to be such a bad word in our country. "Ambisyosa" is almost-always guaranteed to be delivered with a condescending sneer or disapproving grunt.

    Why does "ambition" seem to be such a contemptible thing?

    Also: "If you're planning on not talking to someone anymore, don't tell them so. Just don't talk to them anymore. Sooner or later, they'll get the message and move on."

    I'm afraid I'm guilty of this, Sonia. People know I don't want anything to do with them anymore once I stop talking to them. Yes, they do get the message, and yes, it's passive-aggressive, but I find that telling them bluntly that "I will never speak to you again. Never." like Meryl Streep to Jeremy Irons in House of the Spirits is a tad...melodramatic :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that was a pretty catty comment from her. That's just me.Ü Tea is good, you should have a stash of it with you on most days ☮.♥.☆

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Popular Posts

Translate