Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Juan


"The wind caught it…"

…was what Uma Thurman's supposedly genetically-perfect character, Eileen, as she was handed Ethan Hawke's [also] supposedly genetically-perfect character Jerome's strand of hair for…analysis. 


In that futuristic Utopian-themed movie, Gattaca (which happens to be one of my favorites), everyone at one point or another sorted out their dating partners according to how "premium" their date's DNA was. In one scene, after a date, males and females would flock to these DNA analysis centers and have whatever DNA sample they have analyzed (hair, lipstick, name it, one woman even handed in a swab…of something.:-p)

It was romantic in a sci-fi (I love this genre, by the way) kind of way, because, this was likened to not caring whether or not the prospective was genetically-perfect, but was instead a fate birth (or a degenerate). Throwing away a piece of useful DNA sample without having it analyzed but going for the guy anyway was like throwing one's cares to the wind.

Wind…


Last night, I was seized by the blogging bug. Anticipating an hour of carefree writing, I just grabbed my laptop and went downstairs for some free wifi. It turned out to be pretty comical.

There was a typhoon up in the northern parts of Luzon, and Manila was experiencing "sprinkles" of it. And as such, there were heavy rains, and down there at the 7th floor, the pool's water was roiling and churning either which way, as if some giant wind could not decide where the current should go. Determined to go online, I had to keep both hands on Dean (yes, my laptop has a name); one on the screen, and one on the keyboard to keep him from flying off.

Dean wasn't the only one who had to be controlled. :-p The wind was in my eyes, and I had to blink every few seconds to keep my contacts from drying out…the wind tousled my hair in more ways than one, and I had to hold down my skirt. Which had me thinking, that if I weren't too pre-occupied with checking out new email (or Facebook) or sending a tweet, I would have been holding my skirt down like Marilyn Monroe did when she was on top of the airvent.


Yikes.

I did what I had to do, and decided that it wasn't worth it, really…maybe writing was better done within the confines of my own four walls, free internet time or not.
------

I woke up around 4AM today with a start, I wanted to get up and write, which was my first thought. My heart beat a little faster as I started thinking about what I was going to say and how I was going to say it (writing always makes my heart do a little pitter patter.)


The wind.

Things were happening around me all the time, new things, new people, new faces, new experiences…and I felt that if I didn't write them down, I'd be leaving them to go off into oblivion, forgotten (what lessons they might have taught me would have been lost), being tossed off into the ever-present wind of passing time.


5:45AM. Dining table. Ermita, Manila. 



P.S. It's like in Psychiatry (as with every other medical specialty), one always has to write down notes and orders, and whatever little thing you did for the patient, because as the dictum of charts and record-keeping goes, what isn't written, wasn't done. As with everything else, I suppose. If I didn't write them down, I'd have forgotten about them. Sayang naman. ;-)


------
Eleven thoughts:

  1. My current laundry shop has a "no receipt, no claim" policy. Guess what, I misplaced the receipt. (Will I have to try to charm my way into getting my laundry, then?
  2. I want to go to the Yuchengco Museum one of these days to see the Utopia painting exhibit (of the lesser known works of the masters).
  3. I want to do tourist-y things before I go back… like, Carlos Celdran's tour, see the Post office, the National Library, finish touring the National Museum's main building (Hersh and I did the smaller building first two months ago), watch the sunset at the Bay Area (and take lots of pictures), do the Bungee Jumping thing at MOA, and I don't know, go to Baguio? Go partying at Encore. Go check out the 4th floor of the National Bookstore in Cubao (its main branch for rare, funky books…). Check out a film festival. J
  4. I think I'll get the prepaid Sun broadband modem. Post-paid (unlimited) is too much work, and besides, if I had unlimited internet, I'll be…incorrigible. :-p
  5. It's another overcast day in Manila.
  6. I paid a visit to my friend Pettie who was on-duty (she's a pre-resident as well) at the Pedia ER. She was holding down a child (with another pre-resident) on a stretcher (they were everywhere) and she told me that she hadn't sat down since she started (and what time was that probably? Uhh…morning?). And that she was shifting to psychiatry. Haha. Seeing her at the (very hot and humid) ER like that made me give her the Krispy Kremes doughnut that I was saving for something. I could always get another one.
  7. Butch Dalisay's fountain pen. I want my own now. But it's a bit steep. If I can't get over this "need" in a week, I'm going to have to do something about it.
  8. I did my report on Psychosis and Schizophrenia yesterday afternoon with Dr. Anlacan as the consultant. I had 147 slides (mostly pictures and diagrams, though). He really is a smart guy, and kind as well…taught us a lot of stuff. I was all-ears. J
  9. Had Sbarro's Buffalo Chicken pizza last night with Mer and Ma'am Pearl. Yum.
  10. Pa and Ma have Skyped with my aunt in the states. They called me last night to tell me that, among other things. :-p Ma's the techier one, Pa just likes YouTube.lol.
  11. And, It's the little things that take up the most space in my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. oh my laptop has a name too! it's fun naming your gadgets, isn't it? you feel like you have these lifelong companions who'll never leave you hahaha.

    funny, everytime i catch gattaca on cable, i catch it on different parts--middle, end, etc--never at the begining. so i've probably watched 3/4 of it already but never the whole movie haha.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Popular Posts

Translate