Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Stories

There's never a boring day in Psychiatry...

I don't think i'll ever tire of talking to people...

Today I ran the gamut of child cases to general adult to consultation-liaison (inpatient Psychiatry), and it has been nothing short of amazing.

It's not easy talking to people...you don't talk to them just the sake of talking to them. And I would never call what I do "counselling"... it connotes something more passive. Counselling is like telling someone what to do, in the best way YOU think is right for him or her...

That doesn't work all the time, you know.

I don't think it is even sitting on a chair, having the other person lie down on a couch and letting them spew their life stories out. Nah...

Cute, but no. It is actually a science...the science of the mind and behavior. We don't just talk to people, we also diagnose... and it takes a lot of experience and guidance to be able to see the nuances, and to do something about them.

The age of the brain and the mind is very exciting. I'm so glad to be on the cusp of my training. <-- I hope to graduate this December. :-)

I'll never tire of the learning... it invigorates me.

:-)


1 comment:

  1. Every day I learn something new is a good day. It seems like there are so many things that can get out of balance/misfire in the brain...I don't know how you do it. But I'm glad there are dedicated people like you out there helping people.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Popular Posts

Translate